Money Matters
Welcome to Money Matters where you will find helpful web links, advice and guidance on personal budgets, direct payments and general money matters.
Personal Budgets
Personal budgets for children and young people with special educational needs

You can request a personal budget if your child has an education, health and care plan (EHCP), or if you are a young person with an EHCP.

A personal budget is an amount of money the Local Authority can pay towards the provision to meet the outcomes set out in the EHCP.

If your request for a personal budget is approved, you can ask to have a direct payment from the personal budget. This means you can arrange provision direct, rather than us making the arrangements on your behalf. This gives you more control over how you receive support.

There are a number of other ways in which you can have a personal budget to support your EHCP outcomes paid.
You can make a request for a personal budget or a direct payment when the:
EHC assessment is taking place
EHCP plan is being reviewed

If the direct payment will replace provision that currently takes place in a school or college setting, you will need the consent of the head teacher or principal of the school, or other establishment, named in the plan.

The LA may be unable to approve your request for a direct payment if arrangements have already been made for services to be provided through a particular provider.

More details of how personal budgets work in Dudley will be published here shortly.

If you have any questions, please contact the special educational needs team on

Direct Payments

Personal Budgets

Personal Budgets - Frequently Asked Questions

Support planning
Coming soon
Coming soon
Coming soon